by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 85 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 42510 times
Lifafa literally means envelope or packet, and that is precisely what the whole wheat rotis act as in this recipe.
Veggies, cooked with a mélange of spices, are arranged on rotis, which are covered and sealed like an envelope before being cooked on a tava. Although we have cooked the Lifafa Paratha using oil, you can cook them with ghee if you wish, to get a richer aroma. In any case, make sure you cook them patiently, till you are convinced that the ‘packets’ are fully-cooked and crisp, brown spots appear on both the sides.
Serve hot with chutneys like Mint and Onion Chutney , Tomato Chutney , Raw Mango and Onion Chutney or ketchup.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the mixed vegetables, cauliflower, potatoes, chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, lemon juice, coriander and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Combine the plain flour and 1 tbsp of water in a bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
- Divide the stuffing into 6 equal portions and keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll each portion of the dough into a 175 mm. (7”) diameter circle, using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Cook each roti lightly on both the sides on a hot tava (griddle) and keep aside.
- Place a roti on a clean, dry surface and place a portion of the stuffing horizontally in the centre.
- Fold the upper half of the roti over the stuffing.
- Apply a little plain flour-water paste on the edges of the lower half of the roti and fold it over the stuffing to overlap it.
- Seal both the edges using a little plain flour-water paste to form a lifafa.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) grease it with oil, cook the paratha, using a little more oil till all the sides are cooked and turn golden brown in colour.
- Repeat steps 6 to 10 to make 5 more parathas.
- Serve immediately with green chutney and tomato ketchup.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per paratha
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.