Gil-e- Firdaus, Hyderabadi Rice Kheer
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3674 times
Gil-e-Firdaus is an elaborate but memorable sweet dish, which is made commonly in Hyderabad during festivals and weddings.
Sago and coarsely-crushed rice are cooked in milk and perked up with a range of ingredients like bottle gourd, nuts, condensed milk and cashew paste to get a lusciously creamy dessert with a unique mouth-feel.
Saffron, cardamom and rose water give the Gil-e-Firdaus a rich flavour, which will linger on your palate for long after your cup is empty.
Do not grate the bottle gourd in advance as it will turn black; prepare it just before you are ready to cook the dish.
You can also try other Hyderabadi sweets like the Khubani ka Meetha .
- Combine the saffron and warm milk in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Soak the basmati rice for 10 minutes in enough water, drain and keep aside.
- Allow them to dry on muslin cloth for approx. 30 minutes.
- Coarsely grind the dried rice in the mortar-pestle (khalbatta). Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan, add the almond silvers and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes till they become golden brown in colour, drain them on an absorbent paper. Keep aside for garnish.
- In the same ghee, add the bottle gourd and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes stirring occasionally till they become soft. Keep aside.
- In a deep non-stick pan, add the milk, sago, coarsely crushed rice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring continuously, lower the flame and cook for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the bottle gourd, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the saffron-milk mixture, cashewnut paste, condensed milk , cardamom powder and vanilla essence, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 2 minutes while stirring continuously.
- Switch off the flame, add the rose water and mix well.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Serve chilled garnished with crispy almond slivers.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||214.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.5 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.8 mg|
|Vitamin C||1.8 mg|
|Folic Acid||9.8 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.