German Pretzels, Soft Baked Pretzels
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 20 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6877 times
Pretzels are a special type of baked bread product, in which the dough is twisted into an attractive knot shape before baking. Unlike most baked products, which are coated with sugar, pretzels are dusted with sea salt before baking. This gives it a unique mouth-feel.
Also note that these German Pretzels are first cooked in boiling water before baking, a process that gives them a super-soft texture, which is quite captivating! Relish the pretzels warm, with a cup of Tea or Hot Chocolate .
- Combine all the ingredients, except the sea salt in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough using approx. ½ cup of warm water.
- Cover the dough with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the dough on a dusted surface and knead it very well.
- Divide the dough into 7 equal portions.
- Roll out each portion of dough into a 300 mm. (12”) rope.
- Make a u-shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the u in order to form the shape of a pretzel.
- Place all the pretzel on a dusted board, cover it with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Boil enough water in a deep non-stick pan, add few pretzels in the water and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while turning it twice in between. Drain using a slotted spoon.
- Place all the cooked pretzels on a greased baking tray.
- Brush the pretzels with milk evenly over it.
- Sprinkle ¼ tsp of sea salt evenly over each pretzel.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 20 minutes or till they turn golden brown in colour.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per pretzel
|Vitamin A||13.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.