Gatte ka Pulao, Rajasthani Gatte Ka Pulao
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 339 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 118607 times
Bengal gram is abundantly used in Rajasthani cooking because it grows in plenty in the arid desert conditions. Besan made from Bengal gram is used to make rotis, gatta, mithai and also as a thickening agent for kadhi .
Gatte ka Pulao is made on festive occasions when plain steamed rice is not served. As vegetables are not available throughout the year, cooked gattas are added to spice up this pulao, which is usually served with kadhi or plain curds .
- Combine all the ingredients for the gattas in a deep bowl and knead into a stiff dough using 2 tbsp of water.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into a 200 mm. (8") long thin cylindrical roll.
- Cut the gattas into 10 to 12 equal pieces and keep aside.
- Boil plenty of water in a deep non-stick pan and cook the gattas in boiling water for 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, deep-fry the gatta pieces till they turn light brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cardamom, cloves, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the prepared paste and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice, deep-fried onions, deep-fried gattas, chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||250.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.6 mg|
|Vitamin C||1.9 mg|
|Folic Acid||35.5 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.