Dal Pakwan, Sindhi Dal Pakwan Breakfast Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 178 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 102499 times
Visit a Sindhi family on a Sunday morning, and you are likely to be greeted by the aroma of Dal Pakwan being prepared for breakfast! Pakwan is a delicious snack, which is often served with dal to make a sumptuous Breakfast . However, this tasty combo can be had any time, even as an After School Treat for your kids.
The dal here is a simple preparation of chana dal perked up with green chillies, cumin seeds and spice powders; while the pakwan is a deep-fried puri like snack made with a plain flour dough. Although it appears to be like bhature, the addition of ghee and milk to the dough gives it an exclusive flavour and texture, which must be relished to be understood!
- Combine the chana dal, 1½ cups of water, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape completely before opening the lid.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and allow it to crackle,
- When the seeds crackle, add the green chilli, chilli powder, garam masala, cooked chana dal and little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a firm dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 125 mm. (5”) diameter circle and prick it with a fork at regular intervals.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry it on a medium flame till it turns crisp and golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make 11 more pakwans. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, reheat the dal and divide it into 6 equal portions. Keep aisde.
- Place 2 pakwans on a serving dish and spread one portion of the dal evenly over it.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of the onions and 1 tbsp of coriander evenly over it.
- Repeat step 2 and 3 to make 5 more servings.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.