Dal Kalai, Bengali Kalai Dal
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 19072 times
Taste has nothing to do with complexity – and this recipe proves the fact! A simple dal from Bengali kitchens, Dal Kalai is made by flavouring cooked urad dal with a paste of saunf and ginger.
Together with a quick tempering of green chillies, this paste gives the dal such an awesome taste and aroma, making it totally irresistible.
However, once you try the recipe, you will be awed by its simplicity! Indeed, it is so easy and quick you can make it on the busiest of days.
Without much oil or cream, the Dal Kalai is also a great choice for diabetics and weight-watchers . Enjoy it with Mixed Sprouts Paratha .
- Combine the urad dal, turmeric powder, salt and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Lightly mix it using a whisk.
- Add 1 cup water, mix lightly using a whisk. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the slit green chillies and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the prepared paste, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked dal, little salt and 1 cup water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.