by Tarla Dalal
4/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 130 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 154427 times
The pleasant sweetness of jaggery and the enticing charm of poppy seeds and cashewnuts tone down the bitterness of bitter gourd to an extremely enjoyable level, in this special dry subzi.
Sweet, with a dash of spice, this unique subzi tastes really awesome, but what is even more special than the taste is the mix of textures.
The karela having been deep-fried has a very exciting crispness, which together with the coarse mouth-feel of poppy seeds and the soft crunch of cashewnuts, take your taste buds on a thrilling roller-coaster ride.
The sweetness of jaggery is more prominent than the bitterness of karela in this Crispy Karela, and so it is sure to be enjoyed even by kids.
You can also try other special karela recipes like Karela Muthias and Masala Karela .
- Combine the bitter gourd slices and little salt in a deep bowl, toss gently and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Squeeze out all the excess water.
- Combine the jaggery and 3 tablespoons of water in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry the karela till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and the turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the cashewnuts and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the poppy seeds, sesame seeds, raisins, jaggery-water mixture, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 4 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the deep-fried bitter gourd slices, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.