How many calories does one serving of Crispy Karela have?
One serving of Crispy Karela gives 506 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 144 calories, proteins account for 28 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 334 calories. One serving of Crispy Karela provides about 25 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Crispy Karela recipe. The pleasant sweetness of jaggery and the enticing charm of poppy seeds and cashewnuts tone down the bitterness of bitter gourd to an extremely enjoyable level, in this special dry subzi. Sweet, with a dash of spice, this unique subzi tastes really awesome, but what is even more special than the taste is the mix of textures. The karela having been deep-fried has a very exciting crispness, which together with the coarse mouth-feel of poppy seeds and the soft crunch of cashewnuts, take your taste buds on a thrilling roller-coaster ride. The sweetness of jaggery is more prominent than the bitterness of karela in this Crispy Karela, and so it is sure to be enjoyed even by kids. You can also try other special karela recipes like Karela Muthias and Masala Karela .
Is Crispy Karela healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Karela ( bitter gourd) : Anyone who has just been detected with diabetes is advised to eat karela by all. Many studies have shown that they contain insulin like substances which help to keep blood sugar under control. Moreover the carb count of this gourd is also low, which is an added advantage for diabetics. Bitter gourd not only reduces intestinal disorders like constipation but is equally beneficial for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). See detailed benefits of bitter gourd karela.
2. Cashew Nuts (kaju) : In general, walnuts, cashew nuts, peanuts, almonds, pistachios and pinenuts are a healthy snack to carry keep with you as they are rich in monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats and good for heart. They are a healthy snack for Diabetics. Dietary intakes of cashew and other foods rich in magnesium helps to regulate blood pressure. See 9 amazing benefits of cashew nuts for complete details.
What's the problem?
1. Deep fried foods : This recipe is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and don't then function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks. So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body. That's how your body gets healthier by eating the right stuff. So you have given the cells in your body the right food to stay healthy and that is so important in staying disease free for the rest of your life.
2. Jaggery (Gur) : When compared to sugar, which provides only empty calories, jaggery is considered to be a superior natural sweetener. Sugar is definitely one of the causes of many chronic diseases, but jaggery too needs to be consumed in moderate amounts. What you would consume is just about a tbsp (18 g) or a tsp (6 g). While those with heart diseases and weight loss can have a dessert made with this quantity of jaggery occasionally as an option to refined sugar, but diabetics need to avoid this sweetener too as it can spike blood sugar levels instantly. Read is jaggery healthy for complete details.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Crispy Karela?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. This recipe is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and don't then function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks. So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body. That's how your body gets healthier by eating the right stuff.
What is a healthier sabzi ?
Here are some very healthy sabzis like dahi bhindi ki sabzi recipe, chana palak, mushroom mutter masala, mooli ki sabzi recipe, bhindi masala recipe.
Mushroom Mutter Masala
Can healthy individuals have Crispy Karela?
Crispy Karela is high in
1. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
2. Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium.
3. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
4. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
5. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
6. Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) : Vitamin B2 enables the production of red blood cells that contribute to the rise in your energy levels. So have more milk, curds, eggs and green leafy vegetables.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 506 calories that come from Crispy Karela?
Walking (6 kmph) = 2 hrs 32 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 51 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 1 hr 7 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 1 hr 27 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.