Brown Rice and Moong Dal Pongal, Low Salt Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 18 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 8894 times
Next to idli and dosa, one can confidently say that Pongal is the next most popular South Indian breakfast. It is a tasty and filling dish with a rustic flavour marked by cumin seeds and ginger.
Although it is traditionally made with white rice and moong dal, nowadays people are aware of the benefits of other grains and are making variants of Pongal with millets or brown rice.
In this sumptuous and tasty recipe, we have made the Pongal with brown rice and moong dal as brown rice has less sodium than white polished rice. We have also reduced the amount of salt used in the recipe to keep your blood pressure under control.
Healthy though this tasty Brown Rice and Moong Dal Pongal is, we suggest you have it only in limited quantities, without getting carried away.
- Clean, wash the brown rice and moong dal using a strainer and drain well.
- Spread the brown rice on a dry muslin cloth and allow it to completely dry for 30 minutes.
- Heat a deep non-stick pan, add the brown rice and moong dal and dry roast on medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Combine the rice- moong dal mixture, crushed cumin seeds, peppercorns, 3¼ cups of water and salt, mix well and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Mash it well using a spatula. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves ,dry red chillies and ginger and sauté on medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add this tempering over the cooked pongal and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.