by Tarla Dalal
Added to 317 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 112755 times
Scooped containers of boiled bottle gourd are packed with a flavourful, soft paneer stuffing, and topped with tangy tomato gravy. Known for its good health quotient, bottle gourd becomes all the more desirable in this Bharwa Lauki recipe, as it combines tastefully with protein-packed paneer and Vitamin A and C rich tomatoes.
- Combine all the ingredients, except the bottle gourd, in a bowl and mix well. Keep the stuffing aside.
- Cut the bottle gourd lengthwise to get two halves and scoop out the centre of both the halves. Cut each half into a 50 mm. (2?) long pieces. You will get approx. 10 pieces in all.
- Combine the bottle gourd pieces, salt and enough water in a deep non-stick pan and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the bottle gourd pieces are cooked. Drain well and keep aside to cool slightly.
- Divide the paneer stuffing into 10 equal portions and stuff each piece of bottle gourd with a portion of the filling. Keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes and 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes. Allow it to cool slightly and blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai, add the cinnamon and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the tomato mixture, ginger-green chilli paste, coriander-cumin seeds powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, place the stuffed bottle gourd pieces on a serving plate and pour the hot tomato gravy over it.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.