Akki Roti, Karnataka Rice Flour Roti
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 15 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6741 times
Akki Roti is an all-time favourite snack in traditional Kannada households, where it is made for breakfast or evening tiffin.
It is a quick and easy recipe, which does not require grinding or fermenting any batters. A soft dough of rice flour, perked up with veggies, ginger, green chillies and crushed cumin, is flattened deftly on a hot tava and cooked till it is an appetizing golden brown in colour.
Speckled with grated carrot and chopped coriander, the rotis look really tempting, and taste equally so! It can be enjoyed with grated coconut mixed with jaggery, or with coconut chutney and sambhar .
Be careful when flattening the dough on the hot tava with wet hands as the hot steam might hurt you. Once you get the hang of it, it gets easier. Also, make sure you cook the rotis as soon as the dough is made, as the dough will get stiff and dry after some time.
You can also have a go at other South Indian specialties like Onion Tomato Rava Uttapa or Neer Dosa .
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a loose soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it with ¼ tsp of oil, take a portion of the dough place in the centre of the greased tava (griddle) and flatten it with wet fingers to make a 250 mm. (6”) diameter circle.
- Make 3 to 4 holes at regular intervals using a rolling pin as shown in the image.
- Drizzle ½ tsp of oil evenly over it and cook on both the sides till they turn golden brown in colour.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 to make 5 more akki rotis.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per roti
|Vitamin A||240.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||2.9 mg|
|Folic Acid||4.3 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.