Dal Fry Video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 37653 times
From roadside dhabhas to global Indian restaurants, almost all diners serve this all-time favourite Dal Fry. A mixture of moong and masoor dal cooked to perfection and perked up with an aromatic tempering along with fried onions and tomatoes, this dal has a very pleasing texture and irresistible flavour too. The addition of nigella seeds to the tempering is a special touch, which leaves a lingering flavour on your taste buds even after you finish your meal. Enjoy the Dal Fry hot and fresh with your favourite rotis.
Recipe Description for Dal Fry
- Wash the dals together.
- Combine 2½ cups of water, dals, turmeric, chillies, ginger, garlic and salt , mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a kadhai, add the mustard seeds, nigella seeds and kashmiri chilli, sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and a little water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared cooked dal, ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.