Dal Makhani Video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 74533 times
Dal makhani or maa di dal, as it is popularly known in the punjab, with its smooth velvety texture and lovely flavour is a delicacy that is very much a dish of the punjab. Every punjabi restaurant, roadside eating place and food stall vendor makes the claim that this is a delicacy that they alone can make to perfection.
Recipe Description for Dal Makhani ( Punjabi Recipe )
- Clean, wash and soak the whole urad and rajma overnight.
- Drain, add 2 cups of water and salt and pressure cook for 7 whistles or till the dals are overcooked.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Whisk till the dal is almost mashed. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the butter in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the green chillies, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, and onions and sauté till the onions turn golden brown in colour.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste,chilli powder, turmeric powder and tomato puree and cook over a medium flame till the mixture leaves oil.
- Add the dal, salt and approx 2 to 3 tbsp water if required and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and mix well. Simmer for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander and fresh cream.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.