Zero Oil Masoor Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 69 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 51246 times
Masoor dal is a storehouse of nutrients like protein, folic acid, iron and zinc. Protein is required for the formation of new cells, their growth and maintenance. Folic acid and iron on the other hand build up the hemoglobin that carry oxygen and supply nutrients to our body. Zinc enhances the activity of our immune cells. Together all these nutrients help to boost immunity. Perhaps its time to say, "a cup of masoor dal a day keeps diseases at bay!"
- Clean, wash and soak the masoor dal in water for 2 to 3 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the dal, salt and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and whisk the dal. Keep aside.
- Combine together the cornflour, curds and milk in a bowl and whisk well till it is smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan on a medium flame and when hot, add the cumin seeds and bayleaf and dry roast for about 30 seconds.
- Lower the flame, add the onions, tomatoes, turmeric powder and red paste and dry roast for a few minutes stirring continuously. Sprinkle a little water if the mixture starts burning.
- Add the cooked dal, cornflour paste and 1 cup of water, mix well and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or till the dal thickens.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 100 kcal|
|Protein|| 7.2 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 17.2 gm|
|Invisible Fat|| 0.2 gm|
|Folic Acid|| 21.1 mcg|
|Iron|| 2.1 mg|
|Zinc|| 1.0 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.