Dal Makhani ( Jain Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 226 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 52549 times
The world famous Dal Makhani now in a Jain style.
- Clean, wash and soak the whole urad and rajma overnight. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the dals and salt with 2 cups of water and pressure cook till the dals are overcooked. Whisk well till the dal is almost mashed.
- Heat the butter in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the green chillies, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and sauté well.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, dry ginger powder and tomato pulp and cook over a medium flame till the oil separates from the tomato gravy.
- Add the dal mixture, ¾ cup of water and salt if required and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with the coriander and butter.
- You will require 4 medium tomatoes to make 1½ cups fresh tomato pulp.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.