Soya Tikkis in Malwani Gravy
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 61 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 51656 times
Malwani gravy in its original cooking style requires lots of coconut and oil, making it obviously high on the calorie scale! For a healthier version of this tasty subzi, use just 2 tbsp of coconut and lots of coriander.
To make it even healthier, I have used tikkis made from soya granules and potatoes. Add the soya tikkis just before serving this delectable subzi as otherwise they will soak up all the gravy and become soggy.
Soya Tikkis in Malwani Gravy can double up as a snack and also make a great vegetable when served with rotis and rice .
- Grind the soya nuggets in a mixer to a coarse powder and soak them in hot water for 2 to 3 minutes. Strain and discard the water.
- Squeeze and discard all the remaining water.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, green chillies and salt and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into a flat tikki.
- Cook them on a hot non-stick pan till brown on both the sides. Keep aside.
- Heat a thick iron tava (griddle) and when it is hot, add the coconut.
- Dry roast for about 2 minutes or till brown while stirring continuously.
- Add the garlic, coriander, red chilli, ginger, turmeric powder and half the onions and blend to a smooth paste in a mixer. Keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick kadhai on a medium flame and when it is hot, add the remaining onions, prepared paste, salt and 1 cup of water and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Keep aside.
- To serve, place the soya tikkis on a serving dish and pour the hot gravy on top.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.