Ridge Gourd Upkari
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 56 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18190 times
Upkari, prepared almost daily in Konkani households, is a flavourful way of stir-frying veggies, with a traditional tempering and addition of grated coconut. In this recipe, you will discover how to quickly and easily prepare Ridge Gourd Upkari. Ensure that the mustard seeds splutter well when you temper them, as that will bring out the full aroma and flavour of these magical little seeds. Serve the upkari hot and fresh with sambhar rice or rotis.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the dry red chillies, green chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the turai, salt and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 6 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coconut and turmeric powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||63.9 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||5.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||2.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.