Ridge Gourd and Amaranth Shaag Bhaja
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 8347 times
This Bengali-style subzi features a unique combination of veggies, simply but tastily flavoured with everyday ingredients. Iron-rich chawli leaves come together with ridge gourd, which gives not just more nutrition but also a good texture and volume to the subzi. The duo is aptly flavoured with a tempering of cumin seeds, and a dash of common but effective taste-givers like onions, tomatoes, garlic paste and spice powders like garam masala. The resulting flavour and texture of the Ridge Gourd and Amaranth Shaag Bhaja is very pleasing to the palate, and this does turn out to be a very popular way to top up your iron reserves!
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and tomatoes and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, garlic paste, salt and 2 tbsp water, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the ridge gourd, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add ½ cup of water and mix well. Cover it with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chawli leaves, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.