Paal Payasam in A Pressure Cooker, Sweet Milk Rice Kheer Recipe for Onam
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 33352 times
Paal Payasam is one of the most traditional kheers of South India. It is served in almost every wedding and other special occasions.
The traditional method, which involves cooking the rice in milk in a heavy-bottomed vessel, takes a long time. Hence, we present you with a quick and easy alternative made using our handy kitchen tool, the pressure cooker.
It is as creamy and tasty as the authentic payasam, minus the sweat and stress! So, now you don’t have to think twice before making the Paal Payasam in a pressure cooker.
You can also try other variants of payasam like You can also try other payasams like Paal Payasam , Almond Payasam , Semiyan Payasam and Carrot and Cashewnut Payasam .
- Take a big pressure cooker, place a stand and approx. 1 cup of water in it. Keep aside.
- Combine the full-fat milk and rice in a deep steel or aluminium bowl and mix well.
- Place the milk-rice bowl in the cooker, do not cover it.
- Close the pressure cooker along with the whistle and pressure cook on a medium flame for 10 whistles.
- Lower the flame and cook for 35 minutes.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Remove the milk-rice bowl from the cooker carefully, add the sugar and mix very well till the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Cool completely and refrigerate for atleast 1 to 2 hours.
- Serve chilled.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.