Onion Uttapam, South Indian Onion Uttapam
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 59 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 205758 times
onion uttapam recipe | South Indian onion uttapam | uttapam made with dosa batter | with 15 amazing images.
onion uttapam is a popular South Indian breakfast recipe. South Indian onion uttapam is made from dosa batter, onions, green chillies, coriander and garam masala.
uttapam deserves to be called the Indian pizza as it lends itself to several toppings, the most popular being crisp cooked onions. You may also try other combinations such as onion and tomatoes.
Notes on onion uttapam recipe. 1. Add a little water to adjust the consistency of dosa batter. It shouldn't be too thick or too runny. 2. Check the batter for salt. Add salt into the batter as per your liking. Mix well and keep aside. 3. Heat a non-stick tava (griddle). Use a little oil to grease it and wipe off using a tissue or a piece of cloth. 4. Now, sprinkle a little water on it. If it sizzles immediately your pan is seasoned and ready to use. Wipe the water off using a piece of cloth. It is important to season the pan before you start cooking the uttapas so that they don’t stick to the tava. 5.
Usually vendors spread the topping over the uttapam batter and press it in well with their wet fingers. But, to avoid hurting your fingers, use a spatula if you’re a novice!
With the same dosa batter you can make a variety of Uttapas like Uttapa Pizza, Sandwich Uttapa, Mini Cheese Uttapa and the best for a party is Assorted Uttapa Platter.
Learn to make onion uttapam recipe | South Indian onion uttapam | uttapam made with dosa batter | with step by step photos below.
- To make onion uttapam, combine the dosa batter with little water and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on it (it should sizzle immediately) and wipe off using a piece of cloth.
- Pour ¾ cup of the batter on the tava (griddle), spread in a circular motion to make a 150 mm. (6") thick uttapa and cook on a medium flame for a minute.
- Add 1 tsp of butter in the centre, smear evenly and cook for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp onions, 1 tsp coriander, ½ tsp of green chillies and ¼ tsp of garam masala over it.
- Turn over and cook on the other side till it turns light brown in colour.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more uttapas.
- Serve the onion uttapam immediately with sambhar, coconut chutney and green garlic chutney.
Onion Uttapa Video by Tarla Dalal
Onion Uttapam, South Indian Onion Uttapam recipe with step by step photos
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.