Nourishing Barley Soup (Diabetic and Cholesterol Friendly) Video by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 10370 times
Barley is a cereal that is not usually used in everyday cooking. It is however a great source of protein, iron and fibre and tastes good too, if cooked with flavourful ingredients as I have done in this broth. The combination of masoor dal along with barley i.e. a pulse with a cereal makes this soup a complete source of protein, which is otherwise lacking in a vegetarian diet. The vegetables add plenty of colour and fibre to this nourishing broth. Add freshly ground pepper towards the end to perk up this soup.
Recipe Description for Vegetable Barley Soup, Indian Style Healthy Barley Soup
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the garlic and spring onion whites and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the carrots, masoor, barley, salt and 4½ cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Transfer the barley-masoor mixture in a deep non-stick pan, add the tomatoes, spring onion greens, coriander, a little salt and pepper and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
See step by step images of Vegetable Barley Soup, Indian Style Healthy Barley Soup Recipe
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.