Malai Peda, Diabetic Friendly
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1377 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 50583 times
Here's the traditional Indian sweet made using a combination of low-fat and full-fat milk, as compared to the other sweets which are made only using low-fat milk.
A combo of both the milk is what gives these pedas its required grainy texture. However, we have used sugar substitute to cut down the calories drastically and to avoid fluctuations in blood sugar levels.
Saffron adds its own delightful colour to the pedas and makes them all the more irresistible.
Like all diabetic sweets, these pedas are also best enjoyed occasionally in restricted quantity. They are best used within 3-4 days.
Also try other diabetic friendly Indian sweets like Paneer Kheer and Gajar Halwa .
- Combine the cornflour and 1 tbsp low- milk in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the saffron and 2 tsp of warm milk in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the citric acid and 1 tbsp of water in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the full-fat milk and low-fat milk in a deep pan and boil on a high flame for 6 to 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the flame to medium and cook for 25 to 30 minutes or till the milk reduces to half its quantity, while stirring occasionally and scrapping he sides of the pan.
- Add the saffron-milk mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cornflour-milk mixture and citric-water mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 12 minutes, or till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan, while stirring continuously.
- Transfer it to a plate, spread with the help of a flat spatula and keep aside to cool for 30 minutes.
- Add the cardamom powder and sugar substitute and mix very well using your fingers.
- Divide the mixture into 20 equal portions and shape each portion in between your palms into a flat round.
- Serve or store refrigerated in an air-tight container till use.
- It is highly recommended that this recipe be relished by diabetics only occasionally and in small quantities. This is just a mere ‘treat’ and does not qualify for a regular diabetic menu.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per peda
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.