Gongura Chutney, Ambada Chutney, Andhra Style Pachdi
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 32944 times
Gongura is one of the most famous greens used in Andhra Pradesh. It has a unique flavour that is naturally tangy and slightly tart – just perfect to make a tongue-tickling chutney.
Gongura leaves are cooked with spices and flavour-enhancing ingredients like tomatoes and garlic and then blended into a paste. Tempered and sautéed for a couple of minutes, the paste transforms into a flavourful Gongura Chutney, an accompaniment that goes well with rice , idlis , dosas and just about any dish!
Store it in the fridge in an airtight container, and enjoy this tangy and spicy accompaniment for 2-3 days.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pressure cooker, add the garlic cloves and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, green chillies, coriander, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the gongura leaves and 1 cup of water, mix well and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Blend in a mixer into a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in a small non-stick pan , add the chana dal and urad dal and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the garlic, red chillies and curry leaves and sauté on medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the gongura leaves paste and mix well.
- Serve or store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.