Last Updated : Sep 29,2017
Viewed 53959 times
Also known as
GMS(Glycerol monostearate) is a food additive used as a thickening, emulsifying, anti-caking, and preservative agent; an emulsifying agent for oils, waxes, and solvents .GMS and CMC (Carboxy methyl cellulose) are compounds used for stabilizing ice creams and are available in specialty food stores or bakeries. G.M.S. Is a well known emulsifying agent which is extensively used by the modern food stuffs industries. GMS is largely used in baking preparations to add "body" to the food. It is responsible for giving ice cream and whipped cream its smooth texture. It contains both water & oil soluble groups in one molecule. This characteristic structure enables it to be a very effective emulsifier. Another important advantage to G.M.S. is high nutritive value. It is non toxic & therefore very suitable for use in food formulation. It belongs to the class of non ionic emulsifiers.
How to select
Read the expiry date before buying GMS powder.
· The most common culinary use of GMS powder is in ice cream industry. The Method of incorporation is to make a stock mixture of G.M.S. in water And then adding to the ice cream mix.
· GMS is used in bakery products like breads and cake preparation. The use of G.M.S. gives loaf a much improved quality at a reduced cost to the baker.
· G.M.S. give cakes of good volume. G.M.S SE improve all types of cakes. The optimum concentration to be used will depend on the receipt. But in most cases about 3-4% on the weight of flour is adequate They are more tender & keep their freshness longer.
· GMS is suggested as an emulsifier in producing high quality BiscuitsDue to GMS, fat disperses uniformly in the dough and hence GMS improves the release of the dough from the moulds and cutters to achieve well-shaped biscuits without any distorted edges. It can help to reduce consumption of egg yolk or fat used in making biscuits, thus achieving economy.
· Use of G.M.S. in the candy preparation, ensures smooth dispersion in flavour oils, improves texture & quality. They are used in chewing gums, margarines and peanut butter as emulsifier.
How to store
Store GMS powder in an air tight container. You may also place it in the refrigerator to increase the shelf life.
There are no substantial health benefits associated with GMS powder.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.