• When fresh yeast is used in baked goods (breads, Danish pastries, brioche, croissants, etc.) it not only increases the volume but also improves the texture, grain and flavour of the bread
• When added to dough, the fresh yeast starts a fermentation process by metabolizing sugar to produce ethyl alcohol and carbon dioxide gas, which leavens the dough.
• The gas bubbles are trapped in a porous, elastic web produced by the flour's protein (gluten) combined with liquid, giving the dough volume.
How to store fresh yeast, fresh khameer
• If kept on a shelf, packaged and jarred yeast is not usable past the expiration date.
• If stored well-wrapped in the refrigerator or freezer, it can last for several months.
• Always bring the fresh yeast to room temperature before using. If you freeze it, defrost it for a day in the refrigerator before using.
• It is important to keep the yeast from drying. So, allow the yeast to defrost gradually in the refrigerator the night before you are planning to use it.
• The longer the yeast is frozen, the more it will lose potency.
• When in doubt about freshness of potency, discard.