Mini Low-cal Pita Pockets ( Healthy Starter Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 28 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29982 times
Pockets of joy to pep up your parties! pita bread made with whole wheat flour and filled with chickpeas patties are teamed up with healthy bread mayonnaise and veggies for a wholesome, low-cal experience. While regular pita pockets contain approximately 250 calories, these contain only 123 each.
- Combine all the ingredients, except the oil, in a bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water. Knead again using the oil till the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and allow it to prove till it doubles in volume (approx. 15 to 20 minutes).
- Press the dough lightly to remove the air.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal portions and roll out each portion into a circle of 100 mm. (4") diameter and 6 mm. (¼") thickness.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) on medium flame and cook each pita bread on each side for a minute until a cavity is created in the bread.
- Cut each pita bread into 2 halves and keep aside.
- Combine the kabuli chana, parsley, onions and garlic in a mixer and blend to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add the curds, pepper, salt and lemon juice and mix well.
- Divide the filling into 6 equal portions and keep aside.
- Combine the bread, curds, sugar and oil and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add the pepper, mustard powder, parsley and salt and mix well.
- Divide it into 6 equal portions and keep aside.
- Just before serving, arrange a few cabbage leaves evenly in a pita bread and stuff it with a portion of the filling.
- Place a little carrot and cucumber on top followed by a portion of the herbed mayonnaise.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 5 more pita pockets.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per pita pocket
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.