How many calories does one glass of Mango Lassi have?
One glass of Mango Lassi gives 360 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 174 calories, proteins account for 46 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 141 calories. One glass of Mango Lassi provides about 18 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See recipe Mango Lassi | mango lassi recipe | Punjabi mango lassi | healthy mango lassi | with 10 amazing images.
mango lassi is a yummy Indian drink made from mangoes, curd, milk and sugar (optional). Consumed mainly when Indian mangoes are in season during the peak of the hot summer, Punjabi mango lassi cools the body down.
Mango, the King of Fruits has many followers world over. Punjab is no different. Punjabi's love mangoes and have mango-based recipes in almost every course of the meal, right from the signature Aam ka Achaar made with raw mangoes to delicious, cool Mango Lassi made with juicy ripe ones.
The mango pulp imparts a rich golden colour as well as an irresistible aroma and flavour to the mango lassi. When mangoes are not in season, frozen pulp can be used instead to make mango lassi.
How to make a healthy mango lassi? You can drop the sugar from the recipe as mangoes have their own sweetness. Also those who are lactose intolerant, can use almond milk in place of full fat milk.
Notes on mango lassi recipe. 1. We have used Alphonso mangoes but you can use any other variety. Make sure that the mangoes are completely ripe. 2. Add the curd into the mixer jar. Curd is the key ingredient for any lassi including Mango Lassi. 3. Add the cold milk. We have added the milk to thin the Mango Lassi down and obtain the desired consistency. You can use same quantity of water also. 4. You can also add about ¼ tsp of cardamom powder, a few drops of rose water, honey or a few strands of saffron to flavour the lassi.
Check out our collection of 300+ recipes using mangoes. It has recipes like Mango Truffle Cake, Mango Salsa , Mango Ginger Mousse, Mango and Burrata Cheese Crostini,Mango Sasav, Aam Ke Pakode and many more.
Is Mango Lassi healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Mango (Aam) : The most important role Mango has is to build our immune system by building our white blood cells (WBC) and in turn help to keep diseases like common cold and cough at bay. Another key nutrient that mango is brimming with is magnesium. This mineral along with potassium helps to in maintaining normal heart rate, relaxes the blood vessels and keeps blood pressure also under check. research shows that moderate consumption of mangoes could assist in weight loss. This is because mangoes are rich in fiber. When mango is in season, a diabetic can occasionally satisfy his/her cravings of this delicious fruit within the suggested serving size i.e. ½ mango or 2 to 3 slices. Remember to include these calories and carbs as a part of your daily meal plan. See detailed benefits of mango.
2. Curd + Low fat Curds : Curds help in digestion as it has very good bacteria. Probiotics in curds acts as a mild laxative but, in case of diarrhoea and dysentery, it is a boon, if curd is used with rice. Curd is one of the richest source of protein, calcium and minerals. They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity. Being low in sodium, it is safe to be eaten by individuals with high blood pressure. The only difference between curds and low fat curds is the fat level. Read the benefits of curds to include in your daily diet.
3. Milk and Low Fat Milk : 1 cup of milk provides 70% of the Recommended Daily Allowance of Calcium. Milk promotes strong bones. The Calcium in Milk helps to protect your teeth against gum disease and keeps your jaw bone strong and healthy. Milk is low in carbs and therefore does not raise blood glucose levels. However diabetics must consider including low fat milk as advised by their dietitian only so as to avoid any fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Protein is another key nutrient which milk is rich in - 8.6 g from a cup. So all those looking to build protein stores can add milk and its products like curd and paneer to their diet. One cup of Milk gives 10 grams of carbs. Low fat milk has lower fat and the same benefits of milk.
What's the problem?
Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and overweight individuals have Mango Lassi?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. You can drop the sugar from the recipe as mangoes have their own sweetness. Also those who are lactose intolerant, can use almond milk in place of full fat milk.
Can healthy individuals have Mango Lassi?
Yes, this is healthy.
One glass of Mango Lassi is high in
1. Protein : Protein is required for the managing the wear and tear of all cells of the body.
2. Vitamin A : Vitamin A is crucial for healthy vision, cell growth and healthy skin.
3. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
4. Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) : Vitamin B2 enables the production of red blood cells that contribute to the rise in your energy levels. So have more milk, curds, eggs and green leafy vegetables.
5. Vitamin B3 (niacin) : Vitamin B3 helps in brain functioning and mental health. Also healthy skin formation.
6. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
7. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
8. Iron : Iron is essential in the chemical reactions that produce energy from foods. Eat more greens and garden cress seeds to prevent you from being anaemic. Here are the top 7 sources of iron rich foods.
9. Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. It helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium.
10. Phosphorus : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
11. Potassium : Potassium is critical for those with high blood pressure as it lessen the impact of sodium. Eat more avocados, bananas, watermelons, papaya, plums and grapefruits.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 360 calories that come from one glass of Mango Lassi Chutney?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hour 48 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 36 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 48 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 62 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.