How many calories does one serving of Methi Moong Dal Subzi have?
One serving of Methi Moong Dal Subzi gives 106 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 56 calories, proteins account for 22 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 28 calories. One serving of Methi Moong Dal Subzi provides about 5 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Methi Moong Dal Subzi recipe. Moong dal methi sabzi is a dry accompaniment to rotis and chapatis. Healthy methi leaves with moong dal is a quick sabzi which suits people of all ages. Learn how to make healthy methi leaves with moong dal.
To make moong dal methi sabzi, first soak moong dal and then drain the water and cook it in just enough water. Then heat little oil and give a tempering of cumin seeds. Sauté some onions, garlic and green chillies for about a minute. Follow it by chopped methi leaves, turmeric powder and salt and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Finally add the cooked moong dal to it and cook for a minute. The sabzi is ready for serving.
The moong dal is a good source of protein, which is necessary to nourish the cells and muscles. The fenugreek leaves in this healthy methi leaves with moong dal are a good source of iron. Both the ingredients - iron (haeme) and protein (globin) together make up hemoglobin – a key pigment of blood which helps in supplying oxygen and nutrients to all parts of the body.
This methi moong dal ki sabzi is an ideal option for lunch or dinner as it ensures to avoid fatigue setting in. Cooked in 2 tsp of oil for a serving of 3, it’s not very high on calorie scale too. This sabzi also makes up for some vitamin A requirement of the day by way of fenugreek. It acts as an antioxidant to give a radiant skin, strong immune system and reduced inflammationin the body.
Is Methi Moong Dal Subzi healthy?
Yes, this is healthy.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Yellow Moong Dal : The fibre (4.1 g in ¼ cup) present in yellow moong dal prevents the deposition of bad cholesterol (LDL) in the arteries which promotes a healthy heart in turn. Packed with nutrients like zinc (1.4 mg), protein (12.2 mg) and iron (1.95 mg), yellow moong dal helps to maintain the elasticity of your skin and help to keep it moist. Fiber, potassium and magnesium from yellow moong dal will work together to regulate blood pressure and soothe the nerves and is diabetic friendly. See here for details of 7 amazing benefits of yellow moong dal.
2. Methi (fenugreek leaves) : Methi leaves are low in calorie, powerful antioxidant and cures mouth ulcers. Fenugreek leaves help in improving glucose and insulin responses, hence good for diabetics. The levels of cholesterol also reduced with intakes of fenugreek leaves. Rich in Vitamin K which is good for bone metabolism. See all benefits of methi leaves here.
3. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Methi Moong Dal Subzi ?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Fiber, potassium and magnesium from yellow moong dal will work together to regulate blood pressure and soothe the nerves and is diabetic friendly. The levels of cholesterol also reduced with intakes of fenugreek leaves.
Can healthy individuals have Methi Moong Dal Subzi?
Yes. Moong Dal methi sabzi for Pregnancy, Lactation and PCOS.
Moong Dal methi sabzi is a protein rich treat for body cells and bones.
It is also rich in iron which helps to boost your hemoglobin levels. This helps to keep you energetic and reduce tiredness.
It also has fair amounts of magnesium, potassium and phosphorus.
Vitamin K from methi aids in bone metabolism.
This sabzi can be enjoyed by healthy individuals, kids and senior citizens too.
6. Fenugreek leaves help in improving glucose and insulin responses. Thus this sabzi suits diabetic menu too.
7. Those with heart problems can also go ahead and enjoy this sabzi as an accompaniment to chapatis.
8. A weight loss diet plan can also have this sabzi included.
9. Pregnant women and lactating mothers also should look forward to this healthy sabzi. It's a way to make up for their added nutrient needs.
10. Women with PCOS whose main aim is addition of antioxidants along with minimal calories, should definitely try this sabzi.
Methi Moong Dal Subzi is high in
1. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
2. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 106 calories that come from Methi Moong Dal Subzi?
Walking (6 kmph) = 32 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 11 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 14 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 18 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.