Baked Masala Baati
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 82 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 68435 times
Dal, Baati and Churma – the combo is synonymous with Rajasthani cuisine. Here is a delicious Baked Masala Baati, made of whole wheat flour and stuffed with a flavourful green peas stuffing. The interesting twist here is that the baati is baked, reducing the oil requirement and also making it easy to prepare a whole batch at one go, without frying them one by one. Serve fresh off the oven with Panchmel Dal and Churma.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a firm dough using milk. Knead well for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions and cover with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green peas, ginger-green chilli paste, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame and allow the stuffing to cool completely. Divide the stuffing into 10 equal portions and keep aside.
- Roll out each portion of the dough into a of 37 mm. (1½") diameter circle.
- Place one portion of the stuffing in the center of a rolled dough circle. Surround the filling with the dough by slowly stretching it over the filling.
- Seal the ends tightly and remove any excess dough if necessary.
- Flatten the rounds lightly and make a small indentation in the centre of the baati using your thumb.
- Boil water in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the baatis into the boiling water and cook on a high flame for 15 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Drain and keep aside.
- Allow the baatis to cool completely.
- Bake the battis in a pre-heated oven at 250°c (500°f) for 20 minutes, while turning them after every 5 minutes.
- Arrange the baatis on a serving dish, break them into pieces and pour some melted ghee over.
- Serve immediately with panchmel dal and churma.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per baati
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.