Suva Chana Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 31 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 14774 times
Sometimes, the right combination of nutrients works better than a single supplement in overcoming a shortfall. In boosting haemoglobin levels for example, a combination of iron and protein will do the job better, as in the case of this Suva Chana Dal where the former brings in protein to support the rich iron content of the the latter. An assortment of traditional spices and spice powders together with tomatoes and onions does its job very well indeed, making this dal not just a nutritious offering but a lip-smacking treat too!
- Clean, wash and soak the chana dal in enough hot water in a deep bowl for 1 hour. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the chana dal, turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 minutes.
- Add the dill leaves and tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander powder and little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked chana dal, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.