Stuffed Potato Dal Dhokli
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 18 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 12958 times
Dal Dhokli is an all-time favourite dish made in Maharashtra and Gujarat, in which strips of wheat flour dough are cooked in a tongue-tickling dal.
In this exciting variant of the popular dish, the wheat flour dough is flattened and stuffed with a spicy and succulent potato mixture and then added to the dal. Kokum gives the dal a really tangy taste, while jaggery gives it a mild and enjoyable sweetness.
While a couple of flavour-enhancers like ginger and green chillies boost the taste of the dal further, a traditional tempering gives it an appetising aroma.
Cooking the stuffed wheat flour dumplings in the dal gives it a unique taste and texture. Indeed, the Stuffed Potato Dal Dhokli is a delicacy that none can resist, especially if served hot and fresh with a dollop of ghee.
Other dal dokhli variations Soya Methi Dal Dhokli , Methi Dal Dhokli and Dal Dhokli .
- Clean, wash and drain the dal.
- Combine the dal and 2 cups of hot water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Combine the cooked dal and 1 cup of hot water in a deep non-stick pan and blend it well using a hand blender till smooth.
- Add more 2½ cups of hot water and mix very well.
- Place the deep non-stick pan on the flame , add the salt, kokum, lemon juice, jaggery, ginger-green chilli paste, chilli powder, cashewnuts, curry leaves and turmeric powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirirng occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for the tempering, heat the ghee and oil in a small non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida , cinnamon, cloves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add this tempering to the dal, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirirng occasionally. Keep aside.
- Combine the potatoes, coriander, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, dried mango powder and salt in a deep bowl and mix very well.
- Divde the mixture into 20 small rounds and keep aside.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, besan, salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder, carom seeds and oil in a deep bowl and knead into a semi-stiff dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a lid and keep aside for atleast 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 200 mm. (8”) diameter thin circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Cut the rolled portion into 50 mm. (2”) diameter circles with help of a cookie cutter or a sharp vati.
- Put a portion of the potato stuffing in the centre and bring all the sides together towards the centre to seal it and press it lightly.
- Repeat steps 6 to 8 to make more stuffed dhoklis.
- Just before serving, boil the dal, once it starts boiling, add the stuffed dhoklis and coriander, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately with ghee.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.