Methi Dal Dhokli ( Know Your Dals and Pulses)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 34 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17275 times
Dhoklis, made with toovar dal need no introduction to those familiar with gujarati cuisine. This is a slightly modified variant of dhokli, to which i have added methi.
- Wash and soak the dal in enough water for a 2 to 3 hours. Add 4 cups of water, and pressure cook till the dal is cooked. Keep aside.
- When the dal is cooked, cool slightly and whisk till it is smooth.
- Heat the ghee and oil in a deep pan and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, cloves, cinnamon, bayleaf, small round chillies and asafoetida and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add cooked dal , peanuts , 3 cups of water , kokum, tomatoes, turmeric powder, lemon juice, green chillies, chilli powder and the ginger and jaggery and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the dal, peanuts and salt and simmer for another 10 minutes. Keep aside.
- Knead all the ingredients together with enough water to make a firm dough.
- Divide into 6 equal portions and roll out into thin chapatis.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and lightly roast the chapatis on both sides. Keep aside.
- Cut the chapatis into diamonds or squares and keep asides.
- Just before serving, boil the dal and slowly add dhoklis and simmer for 15 minutes, while stirring every 2 to 3 minutes.
- Garnish with the coriander and serve hot.
- Add the dhoklis one by one into the dal as otherwise they could form one big lump.
- Add more water if the dal thickens while simmering.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.