Soya Methi Dal Dhokli
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 66 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 34079 times
Dhokli, a traditional Gujarati favourite is transformed into a diabetic-friendly treat by using whole-wheat flour, soya flour and fenugreek leaves. Combined with wholesome toovar dal, these healthy dhoklis are a sumptuous one dish fare for one and all. Although prepared with minimal fat, and without any sugar or jaggery, to favour diabetics, the Soya Methi Dal Dhokli is irresistibly tasty!
- Soak the toovar dal in enough water in a deep bowl for 10 minutes and drain well.
- Combine the toovar dal and 4 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 4 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Blend the dal with a hand blender till smooth and keep aside.
- Heat the oil and ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the cumin seeds,fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, cloves, cinnamon, bayleaf and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add 2 cups of water, kokum, tomatoes, turmeric powder, ginger-green chilli paste, dal mixture and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a semi-stiff dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and roll out each portion into a 200 mm. (8”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), and lightly cook each chapati on both the sides. Keep aside to cool.
- Cut the chapatis into diamond shaped dhoklis and keep aside.
- Just before serving, bring the dal to boil, add the dhoklis, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander and onions.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.