Stuffed Chole Puffs
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 122 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17516 times
A variation of a popular chole dish.
- Sieve the flour very well.
- Mix the yeast and sugar in 1 teacup of warm water and stir until the yeast dissolves. Add this liquid to the flour and make a soft dough by adding some more warm water. Knead the dough for at least 6 to 7 minutes.
- Mix the ghee and salt very well. Add to the dough and mix well. Keep the dough under a wet cloth for 20 minutes. Thereafter, knead for 1 minute.
- Divide the dough into 20 small pieces and shape into small balls. Roll out small puffs with the help of a little flour.
- Wash and soak the kabuli chana overnight.
- Next day add the baking powder and salt and cook in a pressure cooker until soft.
- Heat the oil, add the cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, cumin seeds and onions and fry until the onions are light brown in colour.
- Add the garlic paste, ginger, green chillies, tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the pomegranate seed powder, turmeric powder, chana masala, asafoetida, coriander-cumin seed powder and salt and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the kabuli chana and cook for 5 minutes. Mash slightly while cooking.
- Arrange the puffs on a large greased baking tray leaving a little room between each puff for expansion.
- Put 1 tablespoon of chole on each puff and put another puff on top. Press very well.
- Leave the tray in a closed cupboard for 20 minutes.
- Therafter, bake in a hot oven at 200 degree c (400 degree f) for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 150 degree c (300 degree f) and bake for a further 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the tray and brush on top with ghee.
- Alternatively, cook on a tawa with ghee.
- Serve hot with onion rings and mango pickle.
- Prepare chole 3 to 4 hours in advance.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.