Ragi Rava Upma, Healthy Nachni Suji Upma
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 56 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 126008 times
ragi rava upma recipe | healthy nachni upma | ragi suji upma for breakfast | healthy breakfast recipe | with 20 amazing images.
Ragi upma is a quick to make breakfast which gains you few nutrients as well. This healthy nachni upma is comparatively a healthier option than semolina upma. Learn how to make ragi suji upma for breakfast.
To make this ragi rava upma, you need to dry roast the ragi flour and semolina first. They are in the ratio of 2:1. The next step is to make a tempering of hot oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida and then sauté the onions in it. Add the carrots and cook them for about a minute. Then add the roasted ragi-suji mixture along with salt and cook for 2 minutes so all the ingredients mix well. Finally add water and stir it continuously in one direction. Cook it for 2 to 3 minutes. Add coriander and keep it aside for 2 minutes. Healthy breakfast recipe is ready for serving.
When you want to have a healthy yet easy breakfast, ragi suji upma is the answer. This is a healthier option than a upma made solely of semolina. Rava is partially refined and thus devoid of some nutrients.
Ragi or red millet flour, on the other hand, is so full of fibre and iron, thus making this a super-nutritious dish. So, although the colour of this upma is not so appealing, its nutrient quotient is, making it a must-try. Iron is a much needed nutrient to build your hemoglobin reserve. A serving of this healthy nachni upma fulfils 10% off your daily requirement of this nutrient.
When mixing after adding water, use a whisk to avoid any unnecessary lump formation. Make sure you serve ragi upma immediately or else it will turn lumpy.
Enjoy ragi rava upma recipe | healthy nachni upma | ragi suji upma for breakfast | healthy breakfast recipe | with step by step photos.
- To make ragi rava upma, dry roast the ragi flour and semolina in a broad non-stick kadhai on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till it turns light brown in colour, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves, green chillies and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the carrots and sauté on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Add the roasted ragi- semolina mixture and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of hot water and cook on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till the water evaporates, while stirring continuously.
- Add the coriander, mix well and cover and keep aside for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve the ragi rava upma immediately.
Ragi Rava Upma, Healthy Nachni Suji Upma recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.