Broken Wheat Upma, Healthy Breakfast Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
ब्रोकन व्हीट उपमा
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Broken Wheat Upma, Healthy Breakfast Recipe in Hindi)
બ્રોકન વીટ ઉપમા
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Broken Wheat Upma, Healthy Breakfast Recipe in Gujarati)
Added to 645 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 352591 times
Broken Wheat Upma, as the name suggests is a nutrient-rich wheat based upma. While the broken wheat brings in loads of dietary fibre and energy, carrot and green peas bring along a wealth of nutrients, especially vitamin A.
The veggies also add crunch to an otherwise soft upma. You may also add other veggies of your choice to make it more colourful and tasty.
You can also try other recipes using broken wheat like Broken Wheat, Oats and Apple Porridge and Broken Wheat Salad with Chick Peas and Roasted Pepper.
Enjoy how to make Broken Wheat Upma recipe with detailed step by step photos and video below.
- To make broken wheat upma, clean and wash the broken wheat thoroughly. Par-boil the broken wheat in 2 cups of hot water for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, curry leaves, green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and ginger, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the green peas and carrots, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the broken wheat, salt and 1¼ cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Garnish the broken wheat upma with coriander and keep aside to cool slightly.
- Pack in an air-tight box.
Broken Wheat Upma Video (Healthy Breakfast) by Tarla Dalal's Team
Broken Wheat Upma, Healthy Breakfast Recipe recipe with step by step photos
If you like this Broken Wheat Upma recipe, you can try out other Healthy Breakfast Recipes like:
To make the Broken Wheat Upma, we first have to clean and wash the broken wheat thoroughly. Take the Broken wheat in a sieve and run it under water to clean it. Keep aside.
Boil 2 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan and let it come to a rolling boil.
Add the Dalia to it and mix well.
Let the Dalia boil for about 3 to 4 minutes till it is parboiled (half cooked).
Drain the broken wheat, discard the water and keep aside.
Heat the ghee or oil in a pressure cooker, and add the mustard seeds. No, Upma is made without mustard seeds.
When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal.
Also, add the curry leaves with this. These are the basic essentials for any upma recipe, including Broken Wheat Upma.
Mix well and sauté for 30 seconds till the seeds are fragrant and start getting a light color.
Now add the green chillies for a spicy taste to the Broken Wheat Upma.
Mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
Now add the onions to this. They will add a nice piquancy to the Broken Wheat Upma.
Also, add the ginger for an earthy taste.
Mix it well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes till the onions turn translucent.
We will now add the vegetables. First add the green peas.
Now, add the carrots to the pressure cooker as well. You can even add other vegetables like French beans.
Mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till the vegetables are a little cooked.
Now, add the broken wheat to the pressure cooker.
If you want, you can add a little turmeric powder at this stage to get a beautiful yellow color to the Broken Wheat Upma.
Add the salt to taste.
Finally, add 1¼ cups of water to the pressure cooker.
Mix well and pressure cook the dalia for 2 whistles. We only pressure cook it for 2 whistles as it is already parboiled. Using a pressure cooker will make the cooking process faster.
Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
Once cooled slightly, garnish the Broken Wheat Upma with coriander.
Serve the Broken Wheat Upma hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Carbohydrate|| 18.0 gm|
|Energy|| 107 cal.|
|Fat|| 2.8 gm.|
|Protein|| 2.4 gm|
|Vitamin A|| 199.7 mcg|
|Fibre|| 1.4 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.