Pumpkin Kootu Curry, Pumpkin and Kala Vatana Subzi
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 21 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15008 times
Kootu is a popular way of preparing veggies in Tamil Nadu. In fact, on special occasions, a dry subzi and a kootu must be served compulsorily as part of the meal.
Kootu is a semi-solid curry of veggies and pulses or beans, enriched with a paste of coconut and spices, and tempered traditionally. Pumpkin Kootu Curry prepared with red pumpkin and kala vatana is an all-time favourite, which has a splendid aroma and irresistible flavour. Serve it hot with a bowl of rice .
- Soak the kala vatana overnight. Drain well.
- Combine the drained kala vatana and 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add the pumpkin, 1 cup of water and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared paste, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in small pan and add the mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds
- Pour this tempering over the curry and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.