Palak Jeera Nimki
by Tarla Dalal
This recipe has been viewed 893 times
A non-fried version of the famous Bengali snack, you will love to bite into this Palak Jeera Nimki at tea-time!
While the traditional version is usually made of refined flour (maida), which is devoid of most nutrients, here we share a recipe made using whole wheat flour along with iron-rich spinach.
It is worth learning how to cook the nimkis on a tava with very little oil as shown here, even though it takes a bit of time. You can make it whenever you find time, cook and store in an airtight container, to enjoy at leisure!
You can even pop a few into your snack box to enjoy at work when hunger strikes without warning.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a semi- stiff dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 250 mm. (10”) diameter circle using little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Trim the edges slightly using a sharp knife.
- Cut into approx. 50 mm. × 50 mm. (2”x 2”) square pieces using a sharp knife. You will get approx. 16 pieces.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make 16 more pieces using another dough portion.
- Arrange them on a greased baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for 15 minutes or till they turn crisp from both the sides.
- Keep aside to cool slightly. Serve or store in an air-tight container and use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per cup
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.