Methi Chi Patal Bhaji
by Tarla Dalal
4/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 30 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 43553 times
This tongue-tickling subzi of fenugreek leaves and peanuts has a wonderful blend of textures and flavours, which is sure to make your taste buds yearn for more. While the traditional spice enhancers like mustard and cumin seeds feature in this Methi chi Patal Bhaji too, the unique aspect here is a final tempering of dry coconut and garlic, which gives out a really luring aroma. It is important to keep the kadhai covered for some time after adding the tempering, so that the bhaji imbibes its flavour well. If you like a tangy, sour flavour, you can mix the besan in buttermilk instead of water.
- Combine the raw peanuts and enough warm water for 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the besan and 1½ cups of water in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the fenugreek leaves, turmeric powder and chilli powder, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the peanuts, besan-water mixture, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Add the coriander, mix well and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the coconut and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tempering over the patal bhaji and cover with a lid and keep aside for 1 minute.
- Mix well and serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.