Masoor Biryani, Veg Masoor Biryani
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 33 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 35371 times
Masoor spells iron shakthi, which is very important for building haemoglobin levels and to ward off fatigue and tiredness. Here is an interesting biryani made using this nutritious ingredient.
Make the basic milk rice in advance to save time and effort. I have added apricots and raisins to the masoor masala to make it more interesting.
Serve with Phudina Raita and roasted papad .
- Clean , wash and soak the masoor in enough water atleast 1 to 2 hours. Drain the masoor. Keep aside while stirring continuously.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker add the onions and sauté till they turn brown in colour, while stirring continuously.
- Add the red chilli-garlic paste and sauté for a few more seconds,while stirring continuously.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes, apricots, raisins, masoor, salt and 1¼ cups water and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- If it is watery, simmer till little moisture evaporates and the mixture becomes semi-dry. Keep aside.
- Divide the rice into 3 equal portions and the masala masoor into 2 equal portions keep aside.
- Spread one portion of the rice in an even layer in a greased glass baking dish.
- Spread one portion of the masala masoor over it.
- Spread the remaining rice over the masala masoor in an even layer. Repeat the step 2 and 3 to make one more layer.
- Cover with an aluminium foil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes or microwave for 2 minutes. Ensure you do not use aluminium foil while microwaving, as it may cause a spark. Use a microwave-safe lid instead.
- Turn upside down on a large serving plate just before serving. Serve hot garnished with coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.