Lavang Latika, Bengali Labang Latika
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 177 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 56652 times
Here is a mithai that perfectly exemplifies the opulent side of Indian cuisine. Rich and aromatic, Lavang Latika is a famous Bengali sweet made after Durga Pooja.
Covers made of plain flour dough are packed with a succulent mixture of mawa and nuts, deep-fried and soaked in sugar syrup before serving.
The rich aroma of Indian spices envelopes the home when the Lavang Latika is served with love to friends and visitors, and joy fills their hearts when they bite into this delicious treat.
This sweet tastes best when served warm. Make sure you fry the Lavang Latika on a slow flame, otherwise it will remain raw.
Rasgulla , Mishti Doi , Lebu Sandesh and Chum Chum are other popular Bengali sweets.
- Combine the sugar and 1½ cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 20 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and flatten each portion between your palms and keep aside.
- Divide the stuffing into 12 equal portions and keep aside.
- Roll out one portion of the dough in to 125 mm. (5”) diameter circle.
- Put a portion of the filling into the center and fold two sides overlapping each other.
- Overlap the remaining two sides to form a book fold and seal it using a little water and a clove.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 to make 11 more lavang latika’s.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan on a medium flame, deep-fry a few lavang latikas on a slow flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Just before serving, re-heat the sugar syrup on a slow flame for a few seconds.
- Put the deep-fried lavang latika’s in it, mix gently and allow it to soak for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain them lightly.
- Serve warm garnished with saffron strands.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per piece
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.