Kulith Saar, Horsegram Liquid Gravy
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 8 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25799 times
Kulith Saar is a lip-smacking liquid gravy, which is of a consistency somewhat between dal and rasam. Well-soaked and cooked horsegram is tempered with everyday ingredients like red chillies and curry leaves to make an aromatic and flavourful dish.
This easy-to-make Horsegram Liquid Gravy can be enjoyed mixed with rice (like rasam) or as a soup . It is quite satiating, so you can even have it innovatively as a snack between meals, especially on cold, winter days when your tongue is eager to enjoy something hot and spicy.
- Clean , wash and soak the kulith in enough water overnight. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the kulith, little salt and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add 1 cup of water, mash it lightly using a potato masher and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves and dry red chilli and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the kulith mixture and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.