Khatta Dhokla Using Homemade Flour
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 9 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20055 times
Here’s a quick and easy way to make your own dhokla flour at home, and use it to make tasty dhoklas.
This dry flour can be ground within minutes in your own kitchen using just two ingredients and a regular mixer-grinder. By blending the dal and rice to a fine coarse texture, which is neither coarse nor fine, you get dhoklas that are very soft and nice.
Once the flour is ready, you can store it in an airtight container for around two months, and use as and when required. We have used this flour to make awesome Khatta Dhokla, an all-time favourite snack in Gujarat.
It is called khatta dhokla because the flour is mixed with curd and fermented for 10-12 hours before steaming. This, along with a little lemon juice added later, gives the dhoklas a tempting sour flavour.
You can season the Khatta Dhokla made with Homemade Flour with pepper or chilli powder, as per your liking. Serve it with peppy green chutney, for a most wonderful experience.
- Blend the rice in a mixer to a fine coarse powder. Keep aside.
- Blend the urad dal in a mixer to fine coarse powder. Keep aside.
- Combine the rice and urad dal coarse powder in a deep bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
- Combine the curds and ¾ cup of water in a deep bowl and whisk well. Keep aside.
- Combine the dhokla flour, curd-water mixture, fenugreek seeds and 1¼ cups of hot water in a deep bowl and whisk well for 2 minutes. Then mix very well using your hand for atleast 3 to 4 minutes to make a lump free mixture.
- Cover it with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 10 to 12 hours.
- Once fermented, add all the remaining ingredients and mix very well.
- Divide the batter into 4 equal portions.
- Pour a portion of the batter into a greased 175 mm. (7”) diameter thali and shake the thali clockwise to spread it evenly to make an even layer.
- Sprinkle little chilli powder or black pepper powder evenly over it and steam in a steamer for 8 to 10 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 to make 3 more thalis.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.