Kerala Parippu, Kerala Dal, Onam Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3214 times
Simple yet rich, the Kerala Parippu is something beyond explanation – an experience to be savoured. This authentic Kerala dal recipe uses common, everyday ingredients, yet it is addictively tasty when had with freshly steamed rice !
Cooked moong dal is flavoured with a paste of coconut and onions, and a traditional tempering made in coconut oil. This gives the Kerala Parippu an energetic flavour and enticing aroma.
Nonetheless it is very easy to make, and can easily be included in your everyday cooking plans.
You can also try making the Kadala Curry and Bhindi Onion Stir-Fry .
- Combine the dal, turmeric powder and 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add ½ cup of water and mix well using a whisk till smooth.
- Transfer the dal mixture, prepared paste, salt and ¾ cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, till golden brown in colour.
- Pour it over the prepared dal mixture, mix well.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.