Jain Vada Pav
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30938 times
Mumbai’s very own burger, now made in Jain style! Vada Pav is part and parcel of Mumbai’s culture, a signature dish on its street food scene.
While it usually uses potatoes, onions, ginger and other ingredients not used by Jains, this version substitutes potatoes with raw bananas.
With flavour enhancers like green chillies and lemon juice, this Jain Vada Pav tastes just as awesome as the original, and you will not find anything amiss! Relish it in the typical Mumbai way, with deep-fried green chillies.
You can also try other Jain-friendly recipes like Jain Pav Bhaji and Baked Layered Coconut Rice with Curry .
- Combine the raw bananas, turmeric powder, green chilies, coriander powder and lemon juice in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the raw banana mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and shape each portion into a round.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, dip each vada in the prepared batter and deep-fry in hot oil, a few at a time, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Slit a pav horizontally, apply a little green chutney and khajur imli ki chutney on the inner sides of the pav and stuff with a hot vada.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 5 more vada pavs.
- Serve immediately with deep fried green chillies.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per vada pav
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.