Creamy Veg Mushroom Pasta
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 63 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 33926 times
A creamy pasta that can make a satisfying one-bowl meal. Macaroni pasta is cooked with mushroom and smooth, aromatic white sauce.
It can be easily customized with whatever you have in your refrigerator, just blanch some broccoli or sauté some vegetables, toss them in and increase the health quotient.
A dot of brandy can add a nice flavor-but you can omit it too . Relish it with warm garlic bread.
- Heat the butter in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and plain flour, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the fresh cream, macaroni, salt and pepper, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with cheese.
Creamy Veg Mushroom Pasta Video by Tarla Dalal
Creamy Veg Mushroom Pasta recipe with step by step photos
- To make the Creamy Veg Mushroom Pasta, we will start by heating some butter in a deep non-stick pan.
- When the butter melts, add the onions to the pan.
- Now add the finely chopped garlic to this. Onion and garlic are the basic flavor givers of any Italian dish but can definitely be avoided and replaced with other vegetables like capsicum and baby corn in case you want to make it jain.
- Sauté the onion and garlic on a medium flame for 3 minutes till they are both translucent. We do not have to let them brown as that will change the taste of the pasta.
- Now add the thickly sliced button mushrooms to the pan. Button mushrooms, by their very nature, are delicate and can easily break. Hence they are sliced thick so as to avoid breaking them.
- Now add the plain flour. Butter and plain flour when cooked together forms a roux, which is used to thicken sauces. Usually the fat (in this case butter) and flour are added in equal proportions and cooked till slightly browned. When you add any liquid to this mixture, it is bound to get thickened.
- Gently mix and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. When the mushrooms start sweating (releasing water) and the plain flour gets the nutty smell, you know that they are cooked and you are ready for the next step.
- Now we will add the milk. Mix this well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring continuously. You will notice the milk getting thicker as it cooks more.
- Add the fresh cream. This will give a rich texture.
- Now finally add the boiled macaroni, salt and pepper, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally or till the pasta gets heated through and gets the flavor of the sauce. You can use any pasta shape you like – penne, fussili or even spaghetti, it is not necessary to use macaroni.
- Serve this pasta hot, garnished with cheese and with a side of garlic bread. In case you do not serve it immediately and want to reheat it later, you will have to add a little more milk and reheat it as the sauce will just get thicker as it cools.
- To boil the macaroni, heat water and salt in a deep pan and once it starts boiling, then only add the macaroni. The boiled macaroni has to be al dente, meaning it still has to have a little bite to it and not completely disintegrate in your mouth.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.