Char Dal ka Dalcha, Hyderabadi Veg Dalcha
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 17 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10628 times
Four wholesome dals come together with a vast array of taste-giving ingredients to make the Char Dal ka Dalcha a sure-shot hit with everybody!
Dalcha means cooking any ingredient till it is mashed, and true to its name the dals in this recipe are totally mashed. Red pumpkin is added to this recipe to balance the texture. It also gives a pleasant, mild sweetness to the dish.
Several ingredients ranging from garlic to tamarind and green chillies are used in this recipe, to get a strong flavour that combines spice and tang. This dal tends to thicken over time, so if you are having it later, add a little water and re-heat before serving.
Try other recipes like the Tamatar ka Kut and Mirchi ka Salan .
- Combine the dals and enough hot water in a deep bowl and soak it for 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine the soaked dals, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add ¾ cup of onions, garlic, bayleaf and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the ginger paste, pumpkin and salt and mix gently. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked dals, tamarind pulp, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, onion seeds, remaining ¼ cup of onions, curry leaves and dry red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Pour it over the cooked dal and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||184.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||2.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||36.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.