Cassata, Sponge Cake Layered with Vanilla and Coffee Ice Cream
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 120 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21636 times
Italians are credited for creating yet another famous dessert , the Cassata.
The name cassata literally means "little case" due to its brick shape. Cassata is an ice-cream, shaped like a brick, consisting of layers of ice-creams of different flavours on liqueur soaked sponge.
This is the Sicilian version of the dessert. I have chosen ready-made ice-cream to make a quick dessert. You may make the ice-cream yourself at home.
Rum steeped sponge cake, topped with a layer of strawberry ice-cream, flavoured rum soaked sultanas, candied peel, finally topped with coffee cinnamon ice-cream and garnished with grated chocolate.
You can prepare the cassata upto 2 to 3 days in advance and keep it frozen. A great dessert for a great evening!
Also do try other Italian desserts like Tiramisu , Almond Biscotti and Sicilian Orange Almond Cake .
- Line the sponge cake on the base of 125 mm. (5") diameter glass bowl or a freezer proof dish.
- Mix the powdered sugar and rum with 2 tablespoons of water and soak the sponge with this mixture.
- Soak the raisins and candied peel in the rum for about 2 to 3 hours.
- Mix the vanilla ice-cream with the rum soaked sultanas, candied peel, almonds and strawberry crush.
- Spread this mixture over the first sponge layer.
- Freeze for about 3 to 4 hours until the ice-cream is firm.
- Combine the coffee ice-cream with the cinnamon.
- Spread this coffee ice-cream mixture on top of the second layer (of ice-cream), cover and freeze till it has set for approximately 3 to 4 hours.
- Cut into pieces and serve chilled, garnished with grated chocolate.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.