Sicilian Orange Almond Cake
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 133 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 28720 times
All sicilians love desserts and cakes. Citrus fruits and almonds are widely grown and of course largely consumed in sicily, which is an island in the mediterranean region. I actually ate up a large chunk of this cake the first time i made it. So if you are the one who loves hot freshly baked cakes, you will love this delicious tea-time cake flavoured with orange and almonds. The use of orange squash gives a concentrated orange flavour to the cake. It is not totally essential but very helpful if you use it.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together.
- Combine the flour mixture, powdered almonds and sugar in a bowl and mix well.
- Mix together the butter, curds, orange juice, orange squash and vanilla essence.
- Add this to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Pour this batter into a greased 175 mm. (7") diameter cake tin. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 15 minutes and then 180°c (360°f) for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely and unmould.
- Garnish with the whipped cream, orange segments and toasted almonds. Cut into wedges and serve.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.