Bengali Style Jackfruit Cutlet, Echor Cutlet
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 9 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 54596 times
You would have surely had cutlets made of potatoes and even Jain -friendly cutlets made with raw bananas or mixed veggies, but have you ever had cutlets made of raw jackfruit?
This traditional delicacy from Bengal has a unique taste, which is delicious in its own rustic way. The jackfruit is combined with potatoes for binding and lots of masaledar ingredients for getting a great taste.
A coating of bread crumbs gives the Bengali Style Jackfruit Cutlet a fascinating texture that is sure to please you.Although the ingredients are many, they are commonly available in your kitchen, so you don’t need to plan too much before making this delicious treat.
Enjoy it hot and fresh with chutneys of your choice. You can also try other Bengali dishes like Palak Til Jowar Nimki and Paneer Bhapa .
- Combine the plain flour, cornflour and 5 tbsp water in a deep bowl and mix well using a whisk. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the onions, green chillies, ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds powder, garam masala, dry mango powder and sauté on medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the jackfruit cubes, potatoes and salt , mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 minutes, while mashing it using a potato masher.
- Transfer the mixture on a plate, let it cool completely and mash it with help of your hands.
- Divide the mixture into 10 equal portions.
- Shape each portion into a 50 mm. (2”) diameter round flat cutlet.
- Roll each cutlet in the plain flour-water mixture and then in bread crumbs till they are evenly coated from all the sides.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry a few cutlets at a time, on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.